How to Start a Women's Group




Today we get to talk about one of my favorite things - I'm finally putting pen to paper (fingers to keyboard) and sharing easy ways you can start a women's group, no matter where you are, who you know, and how little (or much) experience you have!

In September of 2017, I moved to San Francisco. Pretty quickly, I found myself in need of the community. I started attending a local young adult group but missed the intimacy and friendship of a smaller Bible Study. I prayed and prayed to find a group, but nothing was showing up. In a moment of desperation, I posted on the young adult Facebook page and asked if anyone knew of a group I could join.

There was one group. It met at 9:00 am on Tuesdays. Unfortunately, I was usually at work at 9:00 am on Tuesdays. Feeling defeated I logged off and moved on. Later that night, I noticed that I had a ton of messages in my inbox. I scrolled through, seeing messages from women (and men) asking me to keep them posted if I found a group, as they were searching for one as well. It was a clear ask from God. We all wanted the community, and someone needed to start it. Knowing very little, I messaged all of the women back and invited them to Peet's on Chestnut Street for a small group bible study. (Don't worry, I also encouraged the men to start their own group, and they did!)

Two years later, I moved away from San Francisco. The women's group is still growing (it's been doing even better since I left! #humility) and it's been the root of beautiful friendships, new roommates, and supportive sisterhood. I had never seen God move more intentionally and clearly than over those two years.

So how did it happen? Hopefully, you recognized that it was through the movement of the Holy Spirit that this group even came to be. If you're feeling the pull of the Holy Spirit to begin a small group, here are some resources and ideas that I wish I had a few years ago.

1. Work Smarter, Not Harder

There are countless resources online for Bible Studies. As a FOCUS alum, I relied heavily on FOCUS Equip for studies, especially in the first few months. These studies are easy, designed for young adults, and free. There are many great studies online that you can find through Google.

After a few months, it became clearer what the women needed. I started to lead with the Gospel - either of that day (usually Monday) or the previous Sunday. Going off the Gospel was a beautiful way to focus on very specific scripture. I loved using the Regnum Christi reflections (also free!), which included a few questions on the scripture, as well as background and application to daily life. We often used Lectio Divina and started out with quiet prayer time for each woman to read the scripture and find pieces that spoke to her. This led to many fruitful discussions.

2. Have a Consistent Location

I recommend meeting in a house or apartment. Church rooms are nice, but in my opinion, squeezing people onto your well-worn couch and making tea from your favorite pot makes studies feel warmer and more welcoming. For the first eighteen months, I hosted consistently from my house. I was lucky to have parking available across the street, and many people could walk down to my house from theirs. Consistency helps people build the habit of attending.

3. Build up Leaders Early and Often

I learned this one the hard way. Encourage women in your study to lead a lesson. Take the time to prepare with them over coffee or FaceTime. Remind them that they are capable and strong and that God is really the one who is leading the study. Pray with them and ask them to pray about taking a week. Doing this will build up a study filled with leaders, which means that you won't have to lead every week. It also means that if you're out of town, someone else can take over. It also equips the women to feel empowered to start their own bible study if they move to another city, or in a later stage of life. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

4. Host a Retreat

The retreats we hosted were incredible and helped bond us together - time away from the city and distractions is always a gift. I have written a two- and three-day retreat, and I'd be happy to share them with you!

5. Host Fellowship Events

We tried to have open fellowship events once a month. We went wine tasting, hiking, to an escape room, and had many picnics. These allow women to come who maybe can't attend a Monday night study and also creates an opportunity to invite friends. Our fellowship events were well attended and often brought a different group that weekly study.

**Pro-tip - ask another member of the study to organize these. My friend Kendra did a stellar job, and I was so so grateful to have her

6. Set and Respect Boundaries

We started our weekly bible study with "Highs, Lows, and God-moments." Each person would share a high moment, a low moment, and a God moment from the previous week. These helped us bond as a group, and it encouraged us to come every week so we wouldn't miss an "episode."

However.... sometimes these took over an hour. And we met for 90 minutes. By the last few months that I was there, we started using a timer (1:30 per person) to share their high/low/God moment. It was a great move. We were able to hear from everyone (sometimes 20 people) while also ensuring we made it to the actual study.

Another thing that I didn't do too well was starting or ending on time. Starting on time and ending on time show respect and courtesy for the attendees. It helps them trust you, especially if they're new to the group or have a long drive home.



I'm sure there are many other things I'll think of later - but this is a start! If you're thinking of starting a women's group, please reach out and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship