Thoughts on the Miss America Updates



In three weeks, I will walk across the Miss California stage in a swimsuit to compete in lifestyle and fitness. In those seconds, I will demonstrate my strongest body, one I have worked on for over two years. And, I have worked hard.

Each morning I wake up at 5 am to run, to take barre classes, and to complete my training workouts. I meal prep and have cultivated healthy habits. I love working out and coming up with new recipes. As a result, I've never felt more confident in my own strength.


In 2015, it was a different story.


I was stressing under the pressure of my first year on the Miss California stage, running twice a day, and skipping meals. I was anxious, unhappy, and exhausted. When I made it to Fresno, I looked in the mirror and still didn't like what I saw. In striving to be "perfect" I had veered far from who I was when I originally decided to compete. I had spent more time worrying about my appearance and less time investing in what really mattered - my preparation for the job. After the competition, it took months for me to enjoy food again, to find joy in exercise, and to feel confident in my body.


Miss America's decision to remove the swim competition is a landmark moment. In talking with other contestants, there are very few of us who have not struggled with disordered eating of some sort while preparing. Yes, ideally we would all be working towards competition in a healthy way - but that's not the case. We are young women, susceptible to the pressures of society and expectations of the people around us. The world pushes diets and extreme workouts as a way to alter our appearance, always with the not-so-subtle message that who we are right now is never enough.

I don't believe removing the swimsuit competition will affect who will be crowned Miss California or Miss America. The woman who is meant to hold the title will hold the title. I even guarantee that all of the past Miss America titleholders would still have been crowned even without the swimsuit portion. They won because they were ready for the job - they were healthy, strong, smart, and prepared.

Within this organization, we know that we are smart and successful, and the swim competition is just part of the show. But from the outside, it is so easily misconstrued. Even the young girls I work with will joke about how I probably can't eat the ice cream after practice because goodness forbid I eat something that's not egg whites.

That is never who I want to be.



I have worked my entire life to be an authentic, positive role model for young girls, and having to validate the swim competition to them has always proven difficult. It takes away from our relatability and our platform. This update allows all of us (especially the skeptical public) to focus on the scholarship. I compete to pay off my loans, to prepare for graduate school, and to be the role model I wish I had as a fourth grader. My mission is to strive for excellence, not perfection. Health is important, but not when it compromises other aspects of our lives.


Above all, "Lifestyle and Fitness" will always be part of the Miss America Program. It is still vital for the titleholder to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to be effective. I woke up and went to the gym this morning, and will continue doing so to build my strength and be my best onstage. When you are healthy, a swim competition is not the only way to highlight it. It shines out in every competition - it can be seen in our gowns, our interviews, and our talents (most of which require breath control of some sort). Being healthy is part of being our best, and it will always be key in our lives.

The view on the horizon is optimistic, and I for one cannot wait to see how the changes to our organization will shape its future. It's not hurting us, it's only helping us leverage these years of competition to focus on our true strengths - service, style, scholarship, and success.

One thing is certain - Miss America will be here to #cultivateconfidence for generations to come.


What are your thoughts?



1 comment:

  1. Really nice perspective on this issue Jane. I am so excited to watch you compete at the end of the month.
    All my love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship