"Be a Lifelong Learner" - A Reflection on Scholarship

I've always been into school. 

As a first and second grader, I would come home from school, line up my dolls, and "teach" them - reading from my favorite books and showing them all of the pictures. In third and fourth grade, I wanted to be a teacher, and dreamed about how I would decorate my future classroom and bring my students cookies every day. Through middle and high school, I saw the ways that education could open doors for my future, and when I reached college the importance of a solid education became reality.

Three and a half years at UC Santa Barbara taught me so much - how to lead my peers, pursue my interests, and give back to a community that shaped me. I loved my time as a Gaucho! Being a college student requires discipline, and the feeling of being accountable for my decisions and priorities was incredibly empowering. Although I learned quite a bit through my political science and communication courses, the biggest lesson I learned in college wasn't on any of my study guides or index cards.


College taught me how to be a lifelong learner.

I believe scholarship goes beyond the classroom. The necessity of being a lifelong learner is understated today - scholarship, defined as "learning at a high level" can happen in a variety of "classrooms." 

One of my most impactful classrooms has been within my own family. My mother worked as an investment banker - a fearless woman in a workplace of men - for ten years before leaving the workforce to raise my three younger brothers and me. She teaches me every day about the value of serving others, and she has never shirked away from an opportunity to give back to our school, church, and community. Through watching her I have realized the importance of living with intention and acting with love. 


I get to learn from the girls I meet through Girls on the Run. These girls come from a variety of backgrounds, but they come together to celebrate their individuality while training together for a celebratory 5K. These girls have taught me that "what makes you unique, makes you beautiful."





Another fascinating classroom I have studied in was The White House. I had experiences I had only dreamed of, I met people I'd admired from afar, and I saw that my drive to serve was enough to make a difference. Those eight months surrounded by ambitious, engaged, and hopeful people changed my life. They helped me realize that "someone has to do it - why not me?"


Now, I'm in one of the most engaging classrooms yet - the working world. I'm learning how to communicate with various stakeholders, organize diverse projects and initiatives, and advocate for myself and my work. I get to serve on a team of brilliant people who are all working towards the same goal. The most valuable lesson learned so far: "Asking questions is a strength, not a weakness."


Scholarship happens to be one of the four points of the Miss America crown (the other three being Service, Style, and Sucess) - and if you're a little creative, scholarship can be found anywhere. Read books, listen to podcasts, surround yourself with fascinating people, and never stop asking questions.

In the future, I plan to return to school to pursue my MBA and a Master's in Strategic Communication. Until then, I'll keep on learning no matter where life leads me - by asking questions, chasing challenges, and pursuing the things that make me leap out of bed in the morning. Here's to lifelong learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship