Words Have Power

The past few weeks have been pretty tough. My grandma suffered a stroke, and my parents flew down to take care of her and her house. I stayed home to take care of my brothers. When I finally arrived back at my apartment late Monday night, I was pretty exhausted. Opening up the mail to a package filled with 500 thank you notes made me melt into a puddle of love and laughter. The students of St. Mary School, who I visited just before Christmas, had each written a sweet note thanking me for speaking at their school.

Reading through these thank you notes taught me a few things.

First, everyone has a dream. 

This might seem like a no-brainer, but everyone that we meet has a dream. As we grow up and get into college, it's easier to push these dreams aside in favor of a safer path. But reading about the dreams of these sweet kids - from being on Broadway, to writing a best-selling book - reminded me that these dreams are designed to push us out of our comfort zones.





Second, vulnerability is powerful.

During the assembly, I shared that I had run for class council/student council/leadership fourteen times in my life... and only won four positions. Obviously, losing elections hurts. It's scary to put yourself in that position and not win. But like I tell these students, I put everything I was into those four positions because I didn't take a moment for granted. I also learned how to create leadership positions on my own - starting groups and organizations that uplifted other leaders and empowered them to step up. These sweet kids brought up this fact (my painful losses) and shared that it encouraged them to run "even if I lose every time!"



It's so easy to feel like we aren't heard - like our work is fruitless. Every time I walk out of a classroom or auditorium, I can't help but think "Did anyone gain anything from that?" 

There's a lot that goes into competing - there's a lot that goes into preparing to step onstage because you're not just competing for a crown, but also a job. The job of being a titleholder is as individual as the women who wear the titles - each has their own focus for their year, their own definition of "success," their own goals, and their own vision. For me, being a titleholder has always been about connecting with kids.

When I began competing in pageants, I always knew that I wanted to use my platform to empower kids to work fearlessly towards their goals.Growing up with three younger brothers, I've been lucky enough to be surrounded by kids for most of my life. Coming home from college meant walking into a house filled with boys of all ages. Our house is a hub of activity, and being around kids gives me energy in a way that nothing else can.

Serving this past year as Miss Bay Area opened up opportunities in classrooms throughout the Bay Area to speak to students from Pre-K through high school. At each assembly, I told the story of how I had dreamed of being the "Next Kennedy in the White House," but how countless people told me to aim a little lower. I am forever grateful that I chose to apply - even though I was told it was pointless - because submitting that application changed the course of my life. I don't want any student to believe that their dream is pointless.

We are made for greatness. We are created for greatness.

When we believe that we cannot accomplish something, we are turning our backs on what we were created to do.

Receiving these thank you notes reminded me that our words matter - we have so much power to inspire others just by using our voices, by sharing our stories. It also reinforced that hard work is worth it - countless times over. I put my favorite thank you note (see below) on my wall, to put a little more pep in my step when I'm waking up for those 6 am barre classes.

We have the power to encourage and engage and inspire and love. Get out there and share your story - because someone might need to hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship