Girls on the Run Fall 2017 5K




If you've never seen 3,000 elementary school girls and their parents/friends/mentors cross the finish line of a 5k, let me just sum it up in one word: wow.

There's nothing more inspiring than seeing little girls alongside the most important people in their lives as they run towards the finish line - and their goals. Girls on the Run is a ten-week activity based development program that educates young girls about life-long habits, self-confidence, goal-setting, and healthy relationships, while they train for a celebratory 5K race.

 

I've been volunteering with Girls on the Run of the Bay Area for about a year now, and I'm still astonished when I think about how many lives are positively impacted by this program. It's not only about the girls - it's about how they're able to inspire and engage with their communities using their newfound confidence.

When I was ten, I never thought I was athletic. This realization came after I spent three soccer seasons dancing in the goal and eating orange slices on the bench. Instead, I pursued activities that revolved around performing. I assumed I'd never be an athlete and that was okay. There were plenty of girls in my classes who were soccer/lacrosse/swimming stars, and I just accepted that wasn't my destiny. When I completed my first half marathon in 2014, I realized that anything is possible if you have a plan and a goal. This realization led me to pursue even bigger dreams, even ones that others told me were unrealistic or impossible. That race gave me more than a new passion for a healthy lifestyle - it changed the course of my life (no pun intended).

If only I'd had Girls on the Run in elementary school, I would have found my love for running so much earlier. I would have been able to realize that I could be more than just a "theater kid." It hadn't occurred to me that I could be in more than one box. The girls involved with Girls on the Run have a variety of passions because they know that they can achieve whatever they set their minds to.

The 5K is an incredible 5 hours (starting bright and early at 5:30 AM), but our committee starts meeting three months before the race date. We organize volunteers, find sponsors, set up bagel pick-ups, and promote the race. The committee is made up of young professional women in the San Francisco, and we have members coming in from all corners of the Bay. With a variety of roles, each volunteer is able to use their talents to serve the greater mission.

If you're interested in helping make the Girls on the Run 5K possible, we'd love to have you! Reach out to me and I'd be happy to get you involved. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others - and you get to meet some pretty cool women along the way!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship