Back to School... What I Wish I Knew Starting College



The summer is coming to an end and school is almost back in session! This is my favorite time of year, bar none. I love the weather, I love the food, I love the energy that surrounds new beginnings, and most of all, I love going to Target and shopping for school supplies (what can I say, I'm a sucker for color-coded folders and snazzy new pens).

This past week, my brother moved into Isla Vista to begin his collegiate career at UCSB, and I'm feeling a little extra nostalgic for my college years. I remember moving into my dorm on campus, watching my parents drive away, feeling overwhelmed with excitement, nerves, confusion, and honestly, fear. For the first time, I was independent. I had control over my actions and decisions, and the consequences were 100% on me. I could go to class, or not. I could join on-campus organizations, or not. The world was my oyster and it was paralyzing.


One of my favorite concepts is that of "the next best yes." The road to making choices is rarely straight nor narrow. It requires an internal review of what you want, where you want to go, and who you want to be. At eighteen, I wanted to be a broadcast journalist. I was at school for communication and pretty confident I was well on my way to being a daily news anchor. To be honest, if I didn't get involved on campus, meet people with different life experiences than me, or branch out, I might be working in a newsroom today. Yes, college is about the classes - but I argue that what you do with the rest of your time has the greatest impact on your life and career.

Stay with me - in no way am I discouraging you from attending class. That's the baseline expectation. You're at school to learn. Go to your classes, meet with your professors, study for your tests, write your essays. Once you're done with that, you'll see that you have time. A lot of time. It's up to you to fill that time.

Within a month of moving to UCSB, I was a Delta Gamma new member, dorm front desk attendant, and in the process of applying to be a tour guide. Without much intention or strategy, I had found three groups of people who were vastly different from one another. On Mondays, I was surrounded by peppy, smart, social gals who valued serving the community and staying active. Three days a week, I sat at the front desk of my dorm and met my peers, most of the time because they were locked out of their rooms. My dorm, Anacapa, had a few Living-Learning Communities geared towards specific groups of people, including members of Asian-Pacific Islander and Honors College Floors. I made friends while making money. As I went through training for Tour Guides, I met people involved all over campus (I later learned a major goal of hiring for tour guides is to fill each class with a vast array of students to provide a more comprehensive look at the school). This worked in my favor because right off the bat I was surrounded by people in all majors, in all groups, from all backgrounds. It was a beautiful coincidence and opened me up to even greater experiences as I grew as a Gaucho.

So - here's what I wish I had known!

1. Build a network.
Find older students who are engaged in majors and activities that interest you, and try to spend time around them. That's mentorship: get close to people who are doing really cool things and try to figure out how they do it. A friend of a friend interned in the First Lady's office during my sophomore year. I didn't even know it was possible to intern in the White House in college! Her experience encouraged me to apply. Again, another example of something I never would have known about unless I had broadened my experiences.

2. You don't have to figure it all out, just choose the next best yes. 
A Tour Guide friend was starting Dance Marathon on campus and asked if I wanted to join the committee.
Yes.
A group from St. Mark's Parish was hosting a retreat and asked if I wanted to join.
Yes.
A local Miss America pageant was open to UCSB students and was offering to provide scholarship for my education as well as a trip to Miss California.
Yes.
Leadership roles. Summer camps. Weekend intensives.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

College is about saying yes to experiences that will broaden your horizons. Fill up the hours in your day with a variety of activities that will show you what you like and (more importantly) what you don't.

For example, I went to a weekend seminar on broadcast journalism during my freshman year. We had a variety of journalists speak about their day-to-day and answer questions. I realized then that I couldn't see myself enjoying that lifestyle. I started to explore other majors and ended up graduating with degrees in both communication and political science. If I hadn't explored journalism early on, I wouldn't have been able to pivot my majors and study an area that would eventually play a huge role in my life.




3. Plan ahead 

One of the very best things I did during my freshman year was chart out my quarters. I broke down my major and general education requirements and charted out every quarter from then on. I was able to pick up a few extra units in some quarters and was on track to graduate after three years with two majors. It was because I invested time in planning out my course load that I was able to stay in DC longer than expected after my internship in the summer of 2016. It also relieved a lot of stress when it came around to registering for classes each quarter.

So that's what I wish I knew - say yes to opportunities. Spend time with people who inspire you. Choose the next best yes. Plan ahead. Oh, and go to class.

Good luck to the Class of 2024 as they embark on a new adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship