2018 - Year in Review



Yeehaw! 2018 is coming to a close which means it’s time for my yearly round-up, chock-full of do’s, don’ts, favorite moments, and lessons learned.

In order to prepare, I looked back on my 2017 in review (check that one out here) and of course realized that I should have been periodically checking out the “lessons learned” throughout the past 12 months. The same lessons seem to be coming back again and again which is good because it means that 2019 is the year to master them!



So, without further ado, here’s a look at the speediest year ever – 2018.


Best Moments of 2018
  • Living with my amazing hilarious and fantastic roommate
  • Hiking half dome with my dad, brother, and gal pals
  • Placing 4th Runner-Up at Miss California 2018 (!)
  • Glassdoor BPTW Tour + Recruit Event
  • Welcoming home the Kennedy kitten
  • Nomi being named "Woman of the Year"
  • Going to Miss America in Atlantic City!
  • Attending the Military Ball in San Diego
  • Visiting friends in DC, Boston, and NYC
  • Planning two amazing Girls on the Run 5Ks
  • Bible Study Retreat in Tahoe #swoon
  • Winning Miss Marin County 2019


Habits to Keep
1.     Morning Prayer Time
Every morning I wake up 30 minutes early to pray. I make a Nespresso latte and start with Sarah Young’s Jesus Calling, open my Bible (this pocket-sized one is my favorite ever) and dig into the scripture for the day’s devotion. Then, I read my daily Regnum Christi email with the day’s Gospel, followed by the Blessed is She devotion. It’s a lot of reading, but it always gives me something to pray about during my ten minutes of silent prayer (I literally set a timer because otherwise I’d speed through it and it’s important to dedicate at least ten minutes of time a day to listen to God.) I love this habit and it’s become the most important part of my day.
2.     Morning Workouts
As soon as my prayer time is over, I head out the door for a workout. I love barre classes and alternate between a few different studios thanks to ClassPass (although I’ve decided to commit to Pure Barre in 2019!). If I don’t have much time, I’ll go for a run instead. Sometimes, when I’m really not feeling it, I’ll give myself a little extra sleep or go for a walk instead. I’ve learned to listen to my body, prioritize health, and discern whether I’m being lazy or whether my poor exhausted body needs a snooze.
3.     THE LIBRARY
Did you know I have a library card? Did you know I check out three books a week from the Marina Branch Library? If you’ve had a conversation with me in the past six months I guarantee you have heard all about my OBSESSION with the library. Here’s why: I used to spend SO much money on Amazon. It’s almost too easy to order a boatload of books and get them a couple of days later. The problem?  I am not made of money and as soon as I finish a book I would invariably give it away. Which meant I was pouring money into Amazon only to have books stacked all over my room or given away as soon as I finished them. Enter in the library. I can pick up the latest and greatest from the shelves, and if it’s not in the Marina Branch I can request from another branch and it shows up LITERALLY THE NEXT DAY. That is faster than Amazon! And freer! Go join the library and get ready for your life to change.
4.     Time limits on social media
At 30 minutes on social media I get locked out. And it is awesome. TY @Apple for making me better.





Habits to Stop
1.     Buying Winter Salads at Blue Barn
I love you but you are consuming my bank account and this needs to stop.
2.     Binge-watching Netflix
I am usually not a Netflix person but I have found a show and I cannot stop watching it for the life of me. This needs to end. Contemplating un-subscribing from Netflix in the new year… pray for me.
3.     Saying yes all the time
I am reading Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend and it’s been really tough but also really important. There are times when we need to realize that our “helping” is not empowering others to reach their potential. This is a long lesson and one I hope to build on in 2019.



Habits to Start
1.     Being Chill
2019 is the year of Chill Jane. Get ready folks. She’s Zen and she’s almost here.
2.     Saying Yes
Yes, I know what I said above but there’s a balance to be found and I want to find it. In July, I just started saying yes to everything and had a fantastic few months of meeting new people and trying new things, instead of holing myself up with my favorite few people and not branching out. It was great – so here’s to a little more spontaneity. Chill and go with the flow, here we go.



Best Books Read in 2018
Here’s the list of books read (and actually finished, I’m a firm believer in quitting a book that is boring) in 2018, with my favorites bolded. Yes, I joined the library *see above* and read many many books about deceptive wives and secret twins. I don’t regret it, no judgment please.
1.     The Hopefuls – Jennifer Close
2.     Everything I never told You – Celeste Ng
3.     All These Beautiful Strangers – Elizabeth Klehfoth
4.     Where’d you go Bernadette – Maria Semple
5.     Little Fires Everywhere – Celeste Ng
6.     Bad Blood – John Carreyrou
7.     The Woman in the Window – A.J. Finn
8.     The Wife Between Us – Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen
9.     The Perfect Nanny – Leila Slimani
10.  Anatomy of a Scandal – Sarah Vaughn
11.  Ready Player One – Ernest Cline
12.  Sociable – Rebecca Harrington
13.  The Last Mrs. Parrish – Liv Constantine
14.  After You – Jojo Moyes
15.  A Gentleman in Moscow – Amor Towles
16.  The Sparkle Effect – Kristen Dalton
17.  Glitter and Glue – Kelly Corrigan
18.  Daring Greatly – Brene Brown
19.  Truly Madly Guilty – Liane Moriarty
20.  Astonish Me – Maggie Shipstead
21.  See Me – Jojo Moyes
22.  Girl Wash Your Face – Rachael Hollis
23.  The Nightingale – Kristin Hannah
24.  So Good They Can’t Ignore You – Cal Newport
25.  The Storyteller – Jodi Picoult
26.  Nothing to Prove – Jennie Allen
27.  If You Only Knew – Jamie Ivey
28.  Today Will Be Different – Maria Semple
29.  Boundaries – Henry Cloud and John Townsend




Most Important Lesson in 2018
Perfection doesn’t matter. Seriously. I was #humbled so many times this year, and every time I found myself weak, God was strong. The entire Miss California experience this year was the epitome of 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

His strength is found in my weakness. I learned to be confident in Him because HE is the one who holds me up and keeps me going. He knows me better than I know myself, and trusting in Him brings peace, joy, and gratitude. Every good and perfect gift comes from Him and it’s so relieving to realize that my life is not in my own hands, it’s a gift from Him. This year, I’m digging into prayer and seeking to follow what God wants. It’s for Him and it’s with Him. As my favorite song says, “I lean not on my own understanding. My life is in the hands of the maker of heaven. I give it all to you, God, trusting that you’ll make something beautiful out of me.”


2018 Round-Up
Highs, lows, and everything in between. Thank you 2018 for showing me that I am stronger and more capable than I ever imagined. My first full year of real “adulthood” is in the books and it was filled with nothing but gratitude. Thank you to everyone who shone light in my life this year – every single year I feel more and more thankful for the people who I have in my life, who push me and encourage me and uplift me. You are the best.

Here we go, 2019, let’s do it together. I give it all to you God, trusting that you’ll make something beautiful out of me.

Xo,

Jane
x
x
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship