Do's and Don'ts for Half Dome


Seventeen years ago in Yosemite Valley, my dad pointed to the top of Half Dome and said: "People climb that - did you know we can climb that one day?" In January, when I was crowned Miss Yosemite Valley, my mom looked at me and said: "I guess it's time for you to climb Half Dome!"


Let me just say that it was the most remarkable hike I've experienced - ranking up there with our hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon's Havasupai when I was in seventh grade. The view was extraordinary, and the people we were with made it even more memorable. On the trail, we met people from all over the world. We laughed and danced at the top of Half Dome, and again when we made it back down to the trailhead at dusk.


At the same time, it was physically, emotionally, and mentally strenuous. We set off at 5am and finished at 7pm. We rationed our water and even ran out a few times. Jerky tasted like manna from heaven. Our hike took 14 hours and was 22 miles (we thought it was 16!) In the spirit of encouragement, I thought I would share some of our biggest "dos" and "don'ts" for this hike.




DO: Pack three times as many snacks as you expect.

I probably ate three Clif bars, two packs of energy gummies, some almonds, an almond butter and jelly sandwich and a good portion of jerky just on the way up the mountain (plus a La Colombe coffee can - 100% recommend). You're hiking uphill, you're tired, and you need sustained energy so you can't afford a blood sugar crash.


DON'T: Start after 5 am.

We tried to start at 5. We were up and packed and ready at 4:30. But time gets away from you, and we didn't hit the trailhead until 6.

DO: Enjoy the hike

It was beautiful. We stopped many many times on the way up to admire the view.

DON'T: Take unplanned stops

...but this also meant that we were stopping every 20 minutes or so, eating a snack, taking a photo, and that meant we didn't reach the cables until 12:30 (our goal was before 11am). Next time, I would map out our stops so we knew when the next one was and would be able to power towards it versus stopping each time one of us needed a break.

DO: Pack lots of water.

We were able to refill water at Little Yosemite Valley's campground (be sure to bring a water purifier or a pump), but also do everything you can to pack tons of water. I had a camelback and a water bottle, but next time I'd get a much bigger camelback bladder to carry even more water.


DON'T: 
Dress for the cold.

It gets hot in the Yosemite summer. Really hot, really fast. We shed our layers before 8am, which meant the entire hike was spent lugging around unnecessary leggings, sweatshirts, shirt layers, and parkas. Next time, I would wear shorts, a tank top, a dry-wick long sleeve shirt and a windbreaker. You might be cold for 20 minutes, but it will be worth it when the next 13 hours are free from extra layers in your backpack.


DO: Bring a carabiner and rope (if you're afraid of heights)

I knew the cables would be hard, but I was full on petrified when we started up them. Thankfully, a guy coming down gave me a carabiner and little piece of rope to "connect" myself to the cables. Would this save me if I fell? Nope. Did it make me feel a million times better? Yes, ma'am. For the mental aspect of it, I highly encourage you to bring a carabiner if you have even a hint of trepidation.

DON'T: Face downward as you descend.

Just don't. It's steep, it's scary. Instead, face inward and look at the rock face. Go back slowly and you'll be down before you know it.

DO: Train

Go on a few practice hikes, especially if you're using new boots. It will help you when you start out on the hike because you will feel prepared. I also ran more to prepare for the elevation gain.

DON'T: Forget sunscreen

I had a nice little burn after that hike...

DO: Take time to appreciate the top

It was stunning. We took an hour to enjoy it - it was amazing.


Are you going to hike soon? Let me know! I can't wait to hear about your adventure!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship