The Barbie Doll v. Mindset Makeover




Just last month, Mattel Inc. released three new Barbie doll models to more accurately represent the diversity of women in America. The doll, which once came in a single (albeit disproportional and unrealistic) shape, now has new curvy, petite, and tall sisters. The world is abuzz and rightly so- Barbie hasn't received a major body makeover since her original release in 1959. However, is Barbie's makeover the Hail Mary pass that young women need to throw away body image issues? Personally, I don't think so.

The issue with body image does not stem from a doll that sits on the shelf of children across America. I had a bucket full of Barbies that I played with religiously, and I cannot recall ever feeling the desire to be six feet tall with a giraffic neck. My Barbie was beautiful because she was a teacher, a princess, or a pop star. Barbie was no different than my favorite blue bear (aptly named Bluey of course) - a toy that kept me engaged and imaginative. While I applaud Mattel for recognizing a need for diversity, I find it so difficult to believe that Barbie is the cause of body dysmorphia and self confidence issues that effect over 93% of young women in America. I believe we need to turn away from a child's doll and turn our attention to the bigger issues of our culture- namely the celebration and idolatry of "ideal" figures in the media. 

Open a web browser, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. Everywhere you look, the mediascape is permeated with images of slender female bodies. Headlines read "Get Your Perfect Figure- No Exercise Needed" and "10 Foods that Burn Fat All Day." Pinterest is a glorified body catalogue- scrolling through it for just a few minutes is enough to feel like you can't be "Fall Fabulous" without a thigh gap. Even Instagram has been overrun with fitness experts and "Insta-famous" celebrities, most of whom post a constant stream photos of their perfectly toned and tanned bodies. I have heard so many of the most brilliant, beautiful, and talented women I know sigh in defeat after seeing another flawless Kayla Itsines makeover. This belittling of the strength of our bodies has to stop. No twenty year old woman that I am friends with plays with Barbies- so how do we respond to this epidemic in this generation?

The answer is to celebrate the strengths that we possess as individuals with unique gifts and talents. For the past few weeks, I have given up Social Media in preparation for Easter. Honestly, I can't even describe the change in my mindset. Instead of salivating over people's gorgeous vacation photos, I can celebrate the people around me and what is happening right now with those that I love. Instead of commenting on photos, I have spent time calling people and catching up with their lives. But beyond this, the most remarkable improvement has been that of my own body image. Photos posted on social media sites are edited, cropped, and filtered (we have all done it), yet we still believe that they are accurate representations of people's lives. Instead of coming back from a run and scrolling through Instagram, I am able to rejoice in the strength of my own body and avoid comparing myself with others. 

So if media is the real problem, what can be done about it? Well, we could stop paying our internet bills and live under a rock, but that sounds quite unappealing. Even completely removing ourselves from social media is unrealistic. Instead, I believe that we need to recognize the artificial reality of images we see online. We need to embrace what makes us different and celebrate our individuality without comparing our own lives to the lives of others. The best way is to celebrate yourself and those around you. Instead of making shallow comments about others' fitness or body shape, thank them for bringing joy into your life through their humor and friendship. If we can take steps to do this, we can empower those around us to see the beauty that they possess- no cropping, filtering, or editing necessary.

Barbie has a new body shape. I am glad that younger generations will be made aware of the beauty of diversity earlier on. But really, I don't even think they will notice. To children, it doesn't matter if their Barbie is short or tall, skinny or strong. This is because they know something that we have forgotten - or chosen to forget. Children playing with Barbie love her because of who she is- their friend, a doctor, a mom, or a vet. They don't obsess over dressing her in the most flattering clothes, the shortest skirt, or the highest heels. They celebrate their Barbie because of what she means to them. The least we can do is reflect this in our own lives- by celebrating ourselves and those closest to us for their strength, beauty, and intellect. 

1 comment:

  1. crebobble.com has the largest selection of custom bobblehead dolls. If we don't carry the bobble head doll you want we can make a custom head-to-toe bobblehead for you from 7" to 24" Below are a few of our thousands of custom bobbleheads. Our handmade personalized bobbleheads are truly one of a kind unique gifts that provide a lifetime of smiles. https://www.crebobble.com/category-18-b0.html

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

INSTAGRAM FEED

@fullyalivefellowship